Browse: Collections Creators Subjects Repositories Digital Collections
Log In | Contact Us | View List (0)

Oakland Federation of Teachers, Local 771 (1943-) | Special Collections & Archives

Name: Oakland Federation of Teachers, Local 771 (1943-)


Historical Note:

The Oakland Federation of Teachers first organized on May 3, 1943 as the Alameda County Federation of Teachers, Local 771 of the American Federation of Teachers (AFT) to both "improve the educational facilities for the children of the nation and to improve the working conditions of the teachers in the public schools.” The union originally included both the Alameda and Oakland school districts but a post-war baby boom that expanded the district's number of new students and staff members led to the union's division into two separate locals. The ACFT, Local 771 became the Oakland Federation of Teachers, Local 771 in July of 1949. Around 1980 the local changed to its current name, the United Teachers of Oakland.

As president of Local 771, Edwin Ross worked closely with the Office of Public Schools to guarantee faculty and students reasonable class sizes, adequate materials for teachers to successfully educate students, and provide teachers with fair compensation for their work.






Page Generated in: 0.069 seconds (using 107 queries).
Using 5.85MB of memory. (Peak of 5.92MB.)

Powered by Archon Version 3.21
Copyright ©2011 The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign