Browse: Collections Creators Subjects Repositories Digital Collections
Log In | Contact Us | View List (0)

Los Feliz Improvement Association | Special Collections & Archives

Name: Los Feliz Improvement Association


Historical Note:

Founded in 1916, the Vermont Canyon Improvement Club was later reorganized and changed its name to the Los Feliz Improvement Association on July 7, 1922. The organization played a significant role in the development of the neighborhood, located just east of Hollywood, for nearly a century. A central area in the neighborhood continues to be Griffith Park, willed to the city of Los Angeles by Col. Griffith J. Griffith in 1919 with specific instructions to maintain the area as a public space. Griffith Park’s approximately 4,000 acres includes: the Greek Theater, the Los Angeles Zoo, and the Griffith Observatory, as well as the William Mulholland Memorial Fountain and the Gene Autry Museum of Western Heritage. The Los Feliz Improvement Association played an important role in determining the locations of all the attractions in Griffith Park. In addition, any future maintenance of the Park and its surrounding neighborhood would be the organization’s responsibility.

In the 1930s, the Association oversaw the building and opening of John Marshall High School. The Los Feliz Improvement Association played a vital role in maintaining the neighborhood’s residential character and integrity as well, and fought rigorously over the years to prevent zoning changes on Los Feliz Boulevard that would have allowed commercial real estate development and to save 100-year-old trees.






Page Generated in: 0.078 seconds (using 107 queries).
Using 5.85MB of memory. (Peak of 5.92MB.)

Powered by Archon Version 3.21
Copyright ©2011 The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign