Browse: Collections Creators Subjects Repositories Digital Collections
Log In | Contact Us | View List (0)

Los Angeles Newspaper Guild (1937-2001) | Special Collections & Archives

Name: Los Angeles Newspaper Guild (1937-2001)


Historical Note:

On December 15, 1933 the founders of the American Newspaper Guild (ANG) held their founding convention, at which they became part of the American Federation of Labor (AFL). As such, union membership was primarily limited to those employed in editorial departments. The Los Angeles Newspaper Guild (LANG) was officially chartered by the ANG in January 1937. That same year the AFL expelled the ANG, and it joined the Committee for Industrial Organizations (CIO). As a member of the CIO the ANG could accept members from outside editorial departments, so any newspaper employee could join.

The LANG unionized and organized employees at several newspapers throughout Southern California, in Los Angeles, Santa Barbara, Orange, and San Bernardino counties. LANG represented its members in discrimination and other grievances, as well as in collective bargaining negotiations. The LANG was an active union, participating in numerous contract negotiations and strikes with area newspapers, including the Hollywood Citizen-News, the Van Nuys News and Green Sheet, and the Los Angeles Herald-Examiner.

The LANG participated in three strikes with employees of the Herald-Examiner, in 1939, 1946, and 1967-1973. The last included the importation of strikebreakers who eventually joined LANG themselves. The Herald-Examiner went out of business in 1989 causing approximately 1,200 LANG members to lose their jobs. Internal financial difficulties for the LANG in the 1990s contributed to further affiliation changes and in 2001 the union membership voted to merge with the Communication Workers of America, Local 9400.

Note Author: April Feldman





Page Generated in: 0.083 seconds (using 107 queries).
Using 5.86MB of memory. (Peak of 5.93MB.)

Powered by Archon Version 3.21
Copyright ©2011 The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign