Browse: Collections Creators Subjects Repositories Digital Collections
Log In | Contact Us | View List (0)

Tarzana Woman's Club (1929-2001) | Special Collections & Archives

Name: Tarzana Woman's Club (1929-2001)


Historical Note:

The Tarzana Woman’s Club was initially formed as the Runnymede Women’s Club in 1915, an auxiliary to the local men’s social organization, the Runnymede Poultry and Berry Association. The women’s association disbanded in 1923, but twelve former members re-formed as a separate organization shortly thereafter. In 1927, the club was renamed the Tarzana Woman's Club. In 1929, the women associated themselves with the California Federation of Women’s Clubs and the General Federation of Women’s Clubs, a nation-wide association of women’s clubs. They were incorporated in 1930.

The Tarzana Woman's Club worked together to serve the Tarzana community in a variety of ways. They dedicated themselves to assisting veterans coming home at the end of World War I, and aided the community through their philanthropic work during the Great Depression. To improve their community they worked for the establishment of the Tarzana-Reseda Park at Victory and Reseda Blvd., a community library, and Topeka Drive School. During World War II, club members donated their time at the Birmingham Veteran’s Hospital providing whatever services were most needed, from rolling bandages and visiting patients to writing letters for those recovering veterans who could not do so themselves.

The club sponsored various youth activities including the Girl Scouts and Blue Birds, and established a Junior Woman’s Club for 18 to 35-year old women, which was later disbanded. The Tarzana Woman’s Club assisted those of all ages through charitable giving, including funding such organizations as Habitat for Humanity, the Salvation Army, Community Assistance to Homeless Youngsters and “Pennies for Pines” of the Forest Service to plant trees. They enriched the lives of San Fernando Valley residents by supporting fashion, craft, and horticulture shows with proceeds being donated to their long list of charities. The club dissolved in 2001 as membership continued to decline.






Page Generated in: 0.084 seconds (using 107 queries).
Using 5.85MB of memory. (Peak of 5.92MB.)

Powered by Archon Version 3.21
Copyright ©2011 The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign