Browse: Collections Creators Subjects Repositories Digital Collections
Log In | Contact Us | View List (0)

Reseda Woman's Club (Reseda, Los Angeles, Calif.) (1918-) | Special Collections & Archives

Name: Reseda Woman's Club (Reseda, Los Angeles, Calif.) (1918-)


Historical Note:

The Reseda Woman’s Club began in 1918 when a group of nineteen women gathered at Marian Elementary School to organize the Mother’s Club of Marian. Martha McClure, principle of the school and club initiator, was elected the first president. In 1922, the club changed its name to the Reseda Woman’s Club after the town of Marian was renamed Reseda. The club incorporated into the California Federation of Women’s Clubs (CFWC) in January 1923, becoming one of thirty-three members of the CFWC Sierra-Cahuenga District. The Reseda Junior Woman’s Club branch was founded in 1950 to bring together young women from the ages of 18 to 35 residing in Reseda. The junior club branch dissolved in 1970.

The Club’s motto, “service,” reflects its philanthropic mission to help a variety of charities. The Club raised funds to help the elderly, the handicapped, children, veterans, and students through sponsoring a host of community projects. Sponsored organizations included the Fatherless Children of France, American Legion, American Red Cross Los Angeles Chapter, and San Fernando Valley State College (now California State University, Northridge). In addition to fundraising for charities, the Club also participated in local events, including the Los Angeles County Fair, the annual Flower Show of the San Fernando Valley Horticultural Society, the Armistice Day Parade, and the crusade to drive gambling rings out of Reseda.






Page Generated in: 0.067 seconds (using 107 queries).
Using 5.85MB of memory. (Peak of 5.92MB.)

Powered by Archon Version 3.21
Copyright ©2011 The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign