Browse: Collections Creators Subjects Repositories Digital Collections
Log In | Contact Us | View List (0)

Associated Chambers of Commerce of the San Fernando Valley (1927-) | Special Collections & Archives

Name: Associated Chambers of Commerce of the San Fernando Valley (1927-)


Historical Note:

The West Valley Associated Chambers of Commerce was organized in December 1927 by four West San Fernando Valley chambers of commerce -- Canoga Park [formerly Owensmouth], Chatsworth, Northridge [formerly Zelzah and North Los Angeles] and Reseda [formerly Marion]. The chambers joined together to promote a spirit of cooperation among the West Valley's business, residential and civic interests, and to advance the civic, commercial and industrial welfare of the region through legislative action.

In 1928, Granada Hills became the fifth community chamber to join the Associated Chambers.It was followed by Tarzana in 1930, Encino in 1931, West Van Nuys in 1956, Sepulveda in 1960, Sherman Oaks in 1972, Greater Las Virgenes in 1974, and North Hollywood in 1975. In 1966, the Associated Chambers changed their name to the present Associated Chambers of Commerce of the San Fernando Valley to remove the impression that the members were exclusively from the West Valley.

The collection of the Associated Chambers documents the expansion of business, industry and suburban consumer culture in the San Fernando Valley during its post-war period of rapid growth from the 1950’s through the 1970’s.






Page Generated in: 0.088 seconds (using 107 queries).
Using 5.87MB of memory. (Peak of 5.93MB.)

Powered by Archon Version 3.21
Copyright ©2011 The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign