Browse: Collections Creators Subjects Repositories Digital Collections
Log In | Contact Us | View List (0)

Greater Los Angeles Press Club (1900-) | Special Collections & Archives

Name: Greater Los Angeles Press Club (1900-)
Variant Name: Los Angeles Press Club


Historical Note:

Founded just after 1900, the Los Angeles Press Club was initially located at 327 South Hill Street where it served as a gathering spot for local journalists. The club shut down during the Great Depression, but following World War II the Greater Los Angeles Press Club was formed: "On September 24, 1946, newsmen from the surviving four daily newspapers founded the Greater Los Angeles Press Club. Since Los Angeles Press Club was taken by a nightclub we became the Greater…The nightclub is no longer around and we have reposessed [sic] our real name." The Club operated a café and cocktail lounge for their members from 1960 through the 1980s, but as interest in gathering there waned, offices were leased instead.

During the early 1970s, the Press Club actively defended freedom of the press and the rights of newsmen, protesting the arrest of journalist William Farr. The club's president during this period was Dick Turpin (1919-2010), who spent 41 years with the Los Angeles Times, was a longtime board member of the GLPC, and was part of Watts Riot coverage team that won a Pulitzer Prize.

In the late 1990s, club president Bill Rosendahl recruited young working journalists to the club, many of whom he was able to persuade to run for the elected Board of Directors, and in subsequent years membership revived.

The Greater Los Angeles Press Club has sponsored numerous seminars, Town Hall gatherings, and social events featuring prominent figures in politics, culture, and the film industry. The Club has launched outreach efforts to international, minority, freelance, and gay journalists, and its International Journalists Caucus is rapidly expanding. "One of the club's most serious missions is to persuade local governments to obey existing California laws by opening up public meetings and public documents to journalists and the public. The club is directing this effort via its Sunshine Coalition, which has already achieved moderate success in educating the Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors to stop violating the Brown Act, the state's open meeting law."

In 2003, the GLAPC was granted non-profit status, reflecting their efforts to provide public service events, and in 2005 they moved to an office above the Steve Allen Theater.






Page Generated in: 0.086 seconds (using 107 queries).
Using 5.87MB of memory. (Peak of 5.93MB.)

Powered by Archon Version 3.21
Copyright ©2011 The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign