Browse: Collections Creators Subjects Repositories Digital Collections
Log In | Contact Us | View List (0)

San Fernando Women's Club | Special Collections & Archives

Name: San Fernando Women's Club


Historical Note:

The San Fernando Women's Club was initially established after the merger of local women's clubs in 1926, including the Elective Study Club, founded in 1907. The Club became the San Fernando Cosmos Club after its 1929 merger with the San Fernando Ebell Club, and retained this title until 1959 when members voted to change the club's name back to the San Fernando Women's Club. The Junior branch of the club, founded in 1930, followed the pattern of its parent organization. It was known as the San Fernando Junior Cosmos Club until it altered its name to the San Fernando Junior Women's Club in 1959.

These clubs were founded with the intention of providing members with intellectual and social improvement, while also offering opportunities for members to become actively engaged with their community. Club activities included volunteering and fundraising for the American Red Cross, the American Cancer Society, the Young Women's Christian Association, and their own Toy Loan Library. The San Fernando Women's Club is a member of the Sierra-Cahuenga District of the California Federation of Women's Clubs, part of the national General Federation of Women's Clubs.






Page Generated in: 0.085 seconds (using 107 queries).
Using 5.86MB of memory. (Peak of 5.93MB.)

Powered by Archon Version 3.21
Copyright ©2011 The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign